Greetings from Mr. Calaski

Hello Parents, Guardians, and Families of F-3.

My name is Jeff Calaski, but the students call me Mr. C. I am co-teaching a social studies unit on colonial Boston with Ms. V in F-3 as part of my teacher internship for the Master in Teaching program at Seattle University. This unit will address the essential question: Why do people want to be free? Students are participating in learning activities that help them answer this question for themselves.

I am using a StoryPath curriculum called "The Struggle for Independence", in which students actually become colonists living in coloni
al Boston. Students have created characters, homes, and businesses based on content from the unit, and have displayed this work on our class frieze, or mural. Students role-play in character during town meetings and other group activities in order to see the world from the perspective of someone in a different time and place.


Here are some highlights and concepts of the unit:
· Creating an interactive mural of colonial Boston.
· Creating a realistic character.
· Learning about the many perspectives that surround historical events.
· Understanding the tensions between individual rights and the common good.
· Experiencing colonial life and significant events through the eyes of their character.
· Declaring a position as either a Loyalist or Patriot.
· Learning how different cultures helped shape colonial Boston.

I am very excited for your child to be a part of this amazing learning experience.

There will be opportunities for you and your family to support your child’s learning at home. You can read about these opportunities at my learning support page.

Thank you for taking the time to read this information. I look forward to meeting all of you at our open house next Wednesday.

You can learn more about me at my website, www.mrcalaski.wikispaces.com.

Best Regards,
Mr. Calaski

No comments:

Post a Comment